Original recipe: http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2012/09/nutella-stuffed-brown-butter-sea-salt-chocolate-chip-cookies-my-favorite-cookie-ever/
The dough to this recipe needs to be kept in the fridge for 1-2 hrs prior to baking. It's best to plan ahead for this one. The dough can be kept in the fridge over night as well to bake the next day.
3/4c Palm shortening - I use the brand Spectrum Organic All Vegetable Shortening (made from palm)
1/2c Coconut palm sugar
1T Vanilla extract
1t Baking soda
1t Sea salt
2 3/4c Almond flour - I use Honeyville or Anthony's Almonds Blanched Almond Flour - both available for purchase on amazon. I have found these two brands are the best for baking and other needs with almond flour due to the fine texture.
2T Arrowroot flour/starch*
2T Tapioca flour/starch*
1/2c Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
1/2c 70% Dark Chocolate Chips - Organic Equal Exchange bittersweet chocolate chips
Rawtella - Chocolate Hazelnut Spread - Tastes a lot like Nutella but cleaner ingredients. I purchase mine from Amazon or Abe's Market online. Abe's is typically a better price but takes a little longer to arrive. Total needed for the recipe is around 1/2c.
Recipe yields roughly 2 dozen cookies.
- Add palm shortening, honey, eggs & vanilla extract into kitchen aid mixer w/ whisk attachment or use an electric hand mixer to combine all ingredients.
- Add baking soda, sea salt, almond flour, arrowroot, tapioca & coconut palm sugar and mix together until completely combined.
- Stir in both types of chocolate chips.
- Store in covered container in the fridge for a minimum of 1-2 hrs. You want the dough to get a little hard so it's easier to complete the last step with the rawtella before baking.
- Preheat oven to 300F
- Take 1-1.5T scoop size of cookie dough and flatten in your hand.
- Place 1/2t size of rawtella in a ball in the center of the dough.
- Roll the dough up around it and it place on the baking sheet. You want the rawtella to be on the inside of the cookie.
- Bake for 12-18 minutes. Check at 12 minutes and cook longer based on your oven.
- Remove from oven and set on drying rack to cool for 5-10 minutes or longer before eating.
*Adding tapioca & arrowroot to this recipe ensures that the cookies will have more crunch to them. If you like a chewier cookie try using coconut flour instead in your recipe.
**This recipe is also really good using maple almond butter or chocolate hazelnut butter from the brand Justin's if you can't get your hand on Rawtella.
Keep the cookies stored in a air tight baggy or container...THAT is if you don't eat them all in one sitting! They are seriously that GOOD!