This soup can be made vegetarian/vegan by using veggie broth and omitting bacon.
Roasted Butternut & Pumpkin Soup
2 Organic Butternut Squash
2 Organic Sugar Pie Pumpkins
12 oz - Homemade Chicken Stock - I would have used 48oz total liquid from the stock but I forgot to thaw some out so I used water for the remaining liquid needed.
36 oz - Filtered Water
1/2t Cayenne - Soup Base
1T Cumin - Soup Base
1/2t Cumin - for Seeds
1T Garlic Powder - Soup Base
1t Garlic Powder - for Seeds
1T Onion Powder - Soup Base
1t Onion Powder - for Seeds
3-4t Sea Salt or more to taste
1/2t Black Pepper - Soup Base
1-2t Smoked Paprika - Soup Base
1.2-1tKelp Granules - Organic Sea Seasonings - Soup Base
Turkey Bacon - 3 Slices per bowl of soup - You can choose to use pasture raised pork or grass fed bison/beef bacon as well.
Baking Pan - Large & Small
Stock/Soup Pot w/ Lid
Convection/Toaster Oven - Not required but comes in handy to roast seeds while squash is roasting in the regular oven.
Immersion Blender - If you don't have one of these you can blend the squash after cooking in batches to put into the stock pot.
Cast Iron Pan or Frying Pan
- Turn oven to 415 degrees F
- Wash butternut squash and pumpkins, cut in half and scoop out seeds. Set seeds aside for now.
- Put 1/2-1 inch of water in large baking pan place squash & pumpkin face down
- Place into oven for 20-40 min(Cooking time may vary. It is best to check back on it every 10 min after you have cooked it 20 min.)
- Turn on Toaster oven to 350 (if you don't have one you can toast the seeds after the squash is done)
- Rinse/Clean Seeds in a strainer from Squash/Pumpkin
- Rub coconut oil on the small baking pan and toss on seeds
- Add 1/2t cumin, 1t garlic & onion powder and ensure each seed is coated. You can add a little sea salt and black pepper if you would like too.
- Place into toaster oven and cook for 15-25 min. (Mine took 25 min but ovens could vary so it's best to check on them every 5 min after you have hit 15 min of cooking time)
- Add 12 oz broth, 36 oz water, 1/2t Cayenne(optional), black pepper, kelp granules(optional), 1T Cumin, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Sea Salt, Smoked Paprika into stock pot stir, bring to boil and simmer w/ lid until you are ready to add the squash & pumpkin.
- While squash/pumpkin is roasting - In a cast iron pan add 1tsp Coconut Oil and warm on medium heat for 2-3 min
- Add turkey bacon into pan and cook 5 min each side or until desired crispiness - set aside until ready to use
- Remove Squash/Pumpkin and let cool for a few min.
- Once cool enough to handle scoop out insides.
- If you have an immersion blender you'll scoop all of the pumpkin and butternut squash directly into the stock pot, and use your immersion hand blender to puree soup
- If you have a blender you'll place the squash/pumpkins in batches to blend/puree and add to the stock pot
- Stir soup and let sit for 5-10 min on low
- Chop up bacon into bits
- Ladle soup into bowls, Drizzle with coconut milk(based on your desired creaminess)
- Top with 3 pieces of bacon(bits) and 1T pumpkin seeds or more if you like