Baked Tostone Ingredients:
3 Green Plantains - Peeled & Diced into 1 1/2 Inch Slices
2-3c- Homemade Chicken Stock or Homemade Veggie Broth or Filtered Water
1T - Chili Powder
1T - Smoked Paprika
1t - Celtic Sea Salt
1T - Rendered Duck Fat (Can use Palm Oil in this place to make it vegetarian or vegan)
- Pour stock into medium stock pot, add chili powder, smoked paprika, sea salt and rendered duck fat
- Stir, Turn to medium heat and bring to a boil covered
- Peel & Slice Plantains into 1-1 1/2 inch slices
- Turn Oven onto 400F
- Once a rolling boil has begun add your sliced plantains
- Cook over medium heat stirring every so often for 10-15 min - You want the plantains to start getting soft so they are easily mashable (is this a word?! anyway..) to make into the shape of a tostada shell before baking in the oven.
- Drain the plantains
- If you have a tostonera you can mash one or two together to make your smaller tostada shell or chips. If you don't have one follow the below steps.
- Put plantain slices n groups of 3-4 on a large cutting board & cover with plastic wrap
- Use a meat tenderizer - but on the flat side to lightly mash them into the perfect circle and thickness for your tostada like shell.
- Peel off the plastic wrap and use a wood or rubber spatula to move onto your non stick cookie sheet & sprinkle with a Celtic sea salt & paprika before putting into the oven
- Place into Oven and Bake for 10-12 min and flip and repeat for an additional 10-12 min.
- They should turn out lightly brown when they are done. They vary in texture - with some being more crunchy if you made them super thin or chewier if you make them a bit thicker. I like them both ways.
- Enjoy w/ your meal of choice!
We made ours into tostada shells last night and ate them with turkey tacos as shown in the photos below. So tasty!