Before going Paleo I used to be a HUGE tortilla chip addict - they were always my down fall. The only thing I found that would curve the appetite for the crunchy tortilla chips was my kale chipz.
My husband who HATES kale prepared pretty much anyway and believe me I try to get creative in my cooking methods to change his mind on this nutrient dense green veggie....LOVES kale this way! WINNING!
I have two recipes below - non spicy & spicy version for your tasting pleasure. They are both equally delicious in my mind. You can't stop with just one...you'll keep going until they're done. Enjoy!
CheeZe Kale Chip Ingredients:
4 Bunches - Organic Curly Kale
4 Cups Raw Cashews - Soak 2 hrs prior in Water & Drain/Rinse just prior to use
3 Organic Red Bell Peppers - Chopped
5-6 Cloves Garlic
2-3 Organic Lemons - Juiced
1/4-1/2t Cracked Red Pepper (optional)
4T Nutritional Yeast (Non Paleo Peeps) - Adds a Zesty CheeZe flavor
4T Brewers Yeast - Lewis Labs (Paleo) - Optional
1T Onion Powder
1T Garlic Powder
1/2-1t Sea Salt - To Taste
SpicE CheezE Kale Chip Ingredients: In addition to all of the above ingredients add the following.
1-2T Sriracha - Organicville Brand(my favorite) - OPTIONAL
1t Chili Powder
1t Chipotle Pepper Powder
1/2t Smoked Paprika
- Rinse & Dry Kale
- Pull off the stem and thick stem/vein up the middle of the kale so you are left with only the green part of the Curly Kale from each side.
- Tear kale into 2-3inch pieces and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- In a Vitamix or Food Processor add all of the ingredients listed above - EXCEPT the kale
- Taste the mixture and see if it needs more seasoning/sea salt to your liking.
- It should be a paste like consistency but smooth
- Put the cheezE cashew mixture into the large mixing bowl w/ the kale
- Massage the kale with both hands and really work the mixture onto the kale leaves
- Lay kale chips out individually on your dehydrator racks until full
- Dehydrate for 12-18hrs at 105-110F